Critical Incident - TO KISS OR NOT TO KISS again
“To kiss or not to kiss”
The first time I met the italian people, it was a little bit strange. I already knew some things about them, like their caothic traffic or the delicious food they have, but I didn’t know they had different greetings from us.
They had just arrived in Vic and when they got off the bus, we introduced ourselfs. Here comes the critical incident. First, I met a girl, and when I was going to give here two kisses (starting from the left), she suddently started from the right. Actually, it was quite funny. But that’s not all. Then I met a boy, and again, I was going to kiss him but he stopped me and just shoke hands with me.
After those confusing but really funny missunderstandings, we solve them by making a video about it.
- For what reason did the italians act like they did?
- Because they wanted to be rude.
- Because between cultures there are a lot of differences, and in Italy it’s usual to greet like that.
- Because they wanted to make a joke with it.
- What attitudes or values appear to be important in Italian society based on their actions?
- Girls kiss each other but boys just shake hands.
- Girls shake hands with each other but boys kiss.
- They always start kissing from the left.
- Why do you think Clàudia behaved the way he did?
- Because she wanted to be rude.
- Because she wanted to make joke with it.
- Because between cultures there are a lot of differences, and in Catalonia they usually greet like that.
- What attitudes or values appear to be importants in Catalan’s society based on their actions?
- Girls and boys kiss each other.
- Girls skake hands with boys.
- They always hug each other.
- What could have been done differently to avoid this critical incidence?